Wednesday, February 15, 2012

INTERVIEWS: STEWART, ATWOOD & CLAFLIN, FAN PERSPECTIVES

Universal


As we indicated earlier this week, there has been an apparent blackout lift regarding the media visits to the SWATH set in October.  There are multiple accounts from different perspectives.  We will post a few and retweet others on Twitter.

Here is a blogger's perspective about the set visit from SparkNotes.com.  Read it here.

Here are a few highlights of Sam Claflin's interview with Teen.com.  Read the more of the interview here:



Teen.com: Ok, let’s talk about Kristen Stewart. What’d you know about her before meeting her?

Sam: I knew of her. Everyone in the world does. But no. I knew of her and I’m a big fan of everything she’s involved with up until now. The first time I met her we kind of had a talk. We realized we have a lot of things in common. We like the same sort of music. We have a few friends in common. Yeah, small world. It’s such a small world.

Teen.com: Since Snow White is Disney…are you guys going to break out into song in the middle of the movie?

Sam: Ha. I can just imagine me on the back of my horse with a shield in one hand and a sword in the other. No, there’s a bit of music, not for me personally, but I don’t think it’s the sort of story that sort of asks for many songs, thankfully.


You’re rocking the leather pants today…

Sam:
I know. I know. They’re very comfortable, very bizarrely. I sort of feel very at home, not that I own anything like this in my own wardrobe, but I wouldn’t mind.

Teen.com: What’s Kristen’s costume like? Very princessy?

Sam:
She tends to sort of not be in any princess-like costumes, which is good for her and kind of gives her that badass sort of fighting spirit, I suppose, but she looks pretty damned awesome. Thumbs up.

Teen.com: Have you gotten any injuries on set?

Sam: No. I think I sort of tripped over a stair, which is my own fault. I can’t blame injury on that. But the other day I think Take 1 of riding a horse on to a certain scene, I fell off. I think the thought of me trying to get up again was quite difficult, so I was just laying there kind of going, “Oh-h-h.” But I remember Kristen just trying to winch me back up on to my feet, and I thought, “I’m not moving. I can’t move. I’m just going to stay here. I’m happier.”

Teen.com: Ha, sounds amazing. We heard you auditioned for the other Snow White movie. Why’d you want this one?

Sam: I think Armie Hammer was always their number one choice. But I kind of saw more similarities in their prince and the part I played in Pirates, whereas (with this) I thought I wanted to pick up a sword and I wanted to do a bit of fighting and get a bit grittier, and hopefully sort of open a few more doors for me.





In an interview with Cambio, Kristen Stewart talks about her "kick ass" Snow White.  Here are a few snippets, read the rest here:

"If you were Kristen Stewart, you might be preoccupied thinking about the release of Snow White And The Huntsman this summer. Not only is it your first big movie role apart from the same role you've played in four installments of one of the most beloved (by most teen girls, anyway) film franchises in history, but you're playing a well-known fairytale character who is known to sing songs with woodland creatures and charm everyone she meets. And then there's the added pressure of another Hollywood actress giving the same role a try a few months before your version hits theaters. Yep, if you were Kristen Stewart, you might even feel like you have something to prove.

But you're not Kristen Stewart. Because Kristen Stewart is effing awesome and we're standing three feet away from her in her trailer, along with a handful of other outlets, back in October somewhere outside of London on the set of Snow White And The Huntsman listening to her talk about the amazing character she's created for the movie.

"It's strange playing a character that you actually could never truly embody," she said. "Her spirit affects people in such a way that -- you know, I mean luckily our script is written that way, but I can't have Snow White's effect on people. I can't actually be completely selfless because nobody is and it would be strange to claim that. You can only really play a character like that in a fairytale and play it with an awful load of integrity and not have it just be like a fake character in a movie with other people that do seem real. She's very fully-formed but very farfetched-from-the-reality-that-we-live-in type of person. Everyone always thinks I just want to play strong characters, but she also is strong in a very different way that you'd expect the leading person in an action-type adventure movie to be."

Well said, Kristen. Tell us more.

"Strength [of character], yeah, but also gusto," she said. "I mean, like she's strong. She can kick ass. It hurts very much to do so and so it's not like you're watching her go take down a kingdom. You're not watching going, 'Yeah! Kill him!' Really, it's more like you're watching someone having to do something that doesn't just go against your sensibilities or something that you agree with. It's not real. It's gutting. It's physically gutting, literally."



Finally, we have some insights from Academy Award winning costume designer Collen Atwood.  TeenHollywood.com gives a delightful account of their meeting during their set visit.  Here are a few highlight.  Read the rest of their interview here:

TeenHollywood: How many looks does each character have in the movie?

Colleen: Charlize has about 15 different variations and Kristen has about five or six but variations within that. Chris [Hemsworth] has basically three looks but it’s all good [we agree and laugh]. He has leather pants which he wears rather well.

Sam Claflin has two or three. The guys have less but more stages. By the end we will have made about 2,000 costumes for the movie by the time we’re done with all the extras.

We’re guided to Kristen’s costume trailer; We’re surrounded by blues, greens and browns. Some costumes have the puffy, classic Snow White sleeves but with a chain mail skirt.

Colleen tells us that some of the textiles and textures of the fabric would translate into our era and “look cool with jeans”. We look at pretty leather colors, some with fake fur. We see Kristen’s jacket, sword belt and leather pants and part of her armor. This is her flexible stunt armor. She has a couple of other girlie dresses too and a coronation dress.
“This is Snow White’s under armor jacket but it’s a cute little piece”, Colleen shares. “Kristen said ‘Oh, I’d wear that!’ This is another dress that Kristen wears at the end. It’s really a simple little dress, very peasant and appropriate for the scene. Nothing like these. That’s for sure. This is a work in progress”. Colleen shows us a crazy beetle wing sleeve.

“The final dress is a chainmail and leather dress that Kristen wears. This is a robe that has been hand embroidered for Charlize. She has a great presence as an actor. You put a costume like that on somebody who really knows how to wear it and it becomes really strong and kind of special”.


TeenHollywood: Does Kristen also make a transformation when she puts these costumes on?

Colleen: Yes, for sure. But it’s a softer version than when Charlize puts hers on, Especially the armor. We’re working on Sam Claflin’s shoes that he’s going to wear with his armor and spiffing those up a little.

TeenHollywood: The look of Snow White is so iconic (i.e. the Disney puffy sleeves). Was that a reference or are you avoiding that?

Colleen: The only thing is the puffed sleeve is sort of reflected in Kristin’s costume but that’s about it. She’s a totally different kind of character. Less “princessy” and more a bad a** kind of girl and hers is leather and has clamps and different kind of stitching on it.

TeenHollywood: Was it that way with Kristen?

Colleen: Yeah but she really didn’t say anything. I showed her the stuff and she was really into it. She loved the armor and the other bits that she has. She’s not really that obsessed with clothes at this point in her career. She’s young and free from that sort of obsession. In her work previous, she hasn’t worn those kinds of presentational costumes so it’s kind of new for her. She’s still having fun with it I think.

TeenHollywood: What is the armor made out of so it isn’t really heavy?

Colleen: The armor is made out of urethane materials then plated with metal so they look like metal, as in Snow White’s armor.

TeenHollywood: Charlize looks so regal in the film, yet very fantasy-like.

Colleen: Charlize transfers between human and animal thing. It’s going to get shredded away. Two costumes will be nice and two destroyed. This is her wedding dress. This is made with leather and fabric I found in France and it has a beautiful big skirt that goes with it. It has a skeletal collar that goes on it and it’s detachable.

TeenHollywood: Do you make a lot of copies of the same costume?

Colleen: In this case I have six of everything because they go through a lot of climate changes in the story so I have different stages of breakdown and then we have real dwarves and larger people so we have a costume scaled down and also regular size.

TeenHollywood: What were the challenges in costuming Alice in Wonderland and this one?

Colleen: There are similar challenges. The visual effects challenges are really different because, in this one, we had to make people that were two different sizes the same scale whereas in “Alice”, we played with body parts scaling up such as the queen’s head. So similar challenges but different with the visual effects side of it. They are both creating fantasy worlds based in different tales although Grimm and Louis Caroll are pretty different.





We pass by some really gorgeous long dresses.

Colleen: I have a coronation scene there will be 200 people dressed to the nines and that’s the idea of what they’ll be wearing. The dress behind it is for the actress in a flashback scene. It’s more peasanty. I have a lot of that shape in the movie too.



Source via @fiercebitchstew

No comments:

Post a Comment

You May Also Like:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...